Dr. Vikas Yadav
October 27, 2021 at 4:09:23 PM
Quiz - 01
1. When lime stone is heated, CO2 is given off. The metallurgical operation is:
2. The process of zone refining is used in the purification of:
3. The ore of chromite is:
4. Aluminium is extracted from alumina (Al2O3) by electrolysis of a molten mixture of:
(a) Al2O3 + HF + NaAlF4
(b) Al2O3 + CaF2 + NaHF4
(c) Al2O3 + Na3 AlF6 + CaF2
(d) Al2O3 + KF + Na3AlF6
5. Which of the following is not a sulphide ore?
(b) Iron pyrites
(c) Copper glance
6. Which of the following pair of metals is purified by Van-Arkel method?
(a) Ga and In
(b) Zr and Ti
(c) Ag and Au
(d) Ni and Fe
7. Which of the following element is present as the impurity to the maximum extent in the pig iron?
8. For which ore of the metal, froth floatation process is used for concentration?
(a) Horn silver
9. Which of the following metal is leached by cyanide process?
10. In aluminothermic process, Al is used as:
(a) Reducing agent
(b) Oxidising agent
11. The temperature of the slag zone in the metallurgy of iron using blast furnace is:
(a) 1500-1600° C
(b) 400-700° C
12. Which one contains both iron and copper?
(d) Copper pyrites
13. Duralumin is used in aircraft industry for its light weight and high strength. It is an alloy of:
(a) Al, Cu, Mg and Mn
(b) Al, Zn, Fe and Sn
(c) Al, Ti, Ce and Fe
(d) Al, Fe, Zn and Sn
14. Identify the alloy containing a non-metal as a constituent in it:
(c) Bell metal
15. Which one of the following is an oxide ore?
(b) Copper glance
(d) Zinc blende
16. The chemical composition of ‘slag’ formed during the melting process in the extraction of copper is:
(a) Cu2O + FeS
(d) Cu2S + FeO
17. The method of zone refining of metals is based on the principle of:
(a) Greater mobility of the pure metal than that of the impurity.
(b) Higher melting point of the impurity than that of the pure metal.
(c) Greater noble character of the solid metal than that of impurity.
(d) Greater solubility of the impurity in the molten state than in the solid.
18. During the process of electrolytic refining of copper, some metals present as impurity settle as ‘anode mud’. These are:
(a) Pb and Zn
(b) Sn and Ag
(c) Fe and Ni
(d) Ag and Au
19. Heating ore with carbon in the absence of air is known as:
20. Heating pyrites to remove sulphur is called: