1. Define Linkage Isomerism. Give an example of linkage isomerism.
2. Define Coordination Isomerism. Give an example of coordination isomerism.
3. Define Ionization Isomerism. Give an example of ionization isomerism.
4. Give IUPAC name of ionization isomer of [Ni(NH3)3NO3]Cl.
5. Write down the formula of : Tetraamineaquachloridocobalt(III) chloride.
6. Indicate the types of isomerisms exhibited by the complex [Co(NH3)5 (NO2)] (NO3)2.
7. Give IUPAC name of the ionization isomer of [Ni(NH3)3NO3]Cl.
8. Give two examples of ligands which form coordination compounds useful in analytical chemistry.
9. Which of the following is more stable complex and why? [Co(NH3)6]3+ and [Co(en)3]3+
10. What is the IUPAC name of the complex [Ni(NH3)6]Cl2?
11. What is meant by chelate effect?
12. Name the following coordination compounds according to IUPAC system of nomenclature :
(i) [Co(NH3)4 (H2O)Cl]Cl2
13. Describe the shape and magnetic behaviour of following complexes :
14. [Fe(H2O)6]3+ is strongly paramagnetic whereas [Fe(CN)6]3- is weakly paramagnetic. Explain.
15. Explain why [Co(NH3)6]3+ is an inner orbital complex whereas [Ni(NH3)6]2+ is an outer orbital complex.
16. Write the IUPAC name of the complex [Cr(NH3)4Cl2]+. What type of isomerism does it exhibit?
17. When a co-ordination compound CrCl3.6H2O is mixed with AgNO3, 2 moles of AgCl are precipitated per mole of the compound. Write
(i) Structural formula of the complex.
(ii) IUPAC name of the complex.
18. Using IUPAC norms write the formulae for the following:
(i) Sodium dicyanidoaurate (I)
(it) Tetraamminechloridonitrito-N-platinum (IV) sulphate
19. Using IUPAC norms write the formulae for the following:
(a) Tris(ethane-1,2-diamine) chromium (III) chloride
(b) Potassium tetrahydroxozincate(II)
20. For the complex [Fe(en)2Cl2], Cl, (en = ethylene diamine), identify
(i) the oxidation number of iron,
(ii) the hybrid orbitals and the shape of the complex,
(iii) the magnetic behaviour of the complex,
(iv) the number of geometrical isomers,
(v) whether there is an optical isomer also, and
(vi) name of the complex.
21. Giving a suitable example for each, explain the following :
(i) Crystal field splitting
(ii) Linkage isomerism
(iii) Ambidentate ligand
22. Name the following coordination entities and draw the structures of their stereoisomers :
(i) [Co(en)2Cl2]+ (en = ethan-1, 2-diamine)
(iii) [Co(NH3)3 Cl3]
23. Write the IUPAC names of the following coordination compounds:
24. What is meant by crystal field splitting energy? On the basis of crystal field theory, write the electronic configuration of d4 in terms of t2g and eg in an octahedral field when
(i) Δ0 > P
(ii) Δ0 < P
25. (a) How is a double salt different from a complex?
(b) Write IUPAC names of the following :
(c) Draw the structure of cis isomer of [CO(NH3)4Cl2]+