1. Differentiate between adsorption and absorption.
2. Physisorption is reversible while chemisorption is irreversible. Why ?
3. What is the eect of temperature on chemisorption?
4. Why is adsorption always exothermic?
5. What type of forces are responsible for the occurrence of physisorption?
6. Define the following term : Sorption
7. Out of NH3 and CO2, which gas will be adsorbed more readily on the surface of activated charcoal and why?
8. Write the expression for the Freundlich adsorption isotherm for the adsorption of gases on solids, in the form of an equation.
9. Why is a finely divided substance more effective as an adsorbent?
10. Write the differences between physisorption and chemisorption with respect to the following :
(ii) Temperature dependence
(iii) Reversibility and
(iv) Enthalpy change
11. What is an adsorption isotherm? Describe Freundlich adsorption isotherm.
12. Write the main reason for the stability of colloidal sols.
13. Out of BaCl2 and KCl, which one is more effective in causing coagulation of a negatively charged colloidal sol? Give reason.
14. Write the dispersed phase and dispersion medium of butter, aerosol, jellies, shaving foam, Smoke, Milk
15. Define the following term : Electrophoresis, Dialysis, Peptization, Coagulation, Emulsification, Sol
16. What is the difference between lyophobic sol and lyophilic sol ?
17. Define the term ‘Tyndall effect’, 'Brownian Movement'
18. What happens when gelatin is added to gold solution?
19. Give reasons for the following observations :
(i) Leather gets hardened after tanning.
(ii) Lyophilic sol is more stable than lyophobic
20. What is the difference between multimolecular and macromolecular colloids? Give one example of each.
21. Define the following terms giving an example of each :